Job Type: Full time
Location: West Adams Kitchen
WHO WE ARE //
In 2013, native Texan Briana Valdez opened HomeState, an ode to Texas cuisine in East Hollywood with the mission of evoking community and creating a home for everyone, no matter where they are from. In a city full of “Tex-pats” but with few truly Texan restaurants, HomeState represents the integrity, history, and culture of Briana’s roots.
HomeState aims to create a dining experience that goes beyond the food. The way our guests feel at HomeState is the true mission of our efforts. HomeState exists for everyone. The price point, casual vibe and portability of the food allows the restaurant to flex to the needs of many. HomeState is a recent recipient of the KCRW’s “Best Tortilla in Southern California” award.
No matter where you’re from, HomeState is your home away from home. A space where every person feels welcomed and valued. We serve hospitality first and tacos second.
And we’re hiring nice people!
HomeState is currently hiring for the position of: Prep Cook
THE GIG //
As a member of the kitchen team you provide the guests with an exceptional experience by implementing HomeState’s standards of service, product quality and cleanliness. Every member of our team strives to create an environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
THE OFFER // By joining HomeState, you’re becoming a member of a dynamic team. In addition to a nurturing environment, in which you’ll be able to grow as we grow, HomeState offers competitive hourly rate, health insurance, and delicious family meal!
Hourly starting rate $17 – $19, depending on experience.
Start time flexible between 3 PM to 5 PM.
THE FINE PRINT //
We know there’s more to an individual than can be expressed on a resumé. See below for a sneak-peak at some of the responsibilities you’d hold as a member of our kitchen team.
HomeState embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note that job duties are subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of HomeState.
- Refer to Daily Prep List at the start of each shift for assigned duties.
- Understand and comply with standard portion sizes, builds, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
- Clean and sanitize work station area including tables, shelves, walls, griddles, fryers, mixers, burners, combi oven, refrigeration units and cryovacing equipment.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage. Properly label and date all food storage containers.
- Prepare a variety of foods such as meats, beans, vegetables or desserts, according to recipes, orders or instructions and following approved operating procedures of kitchen equipment.
- Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Wash, peel, and cut various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Portion according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and package in vacuum bags, wrap the food, or place it directly in the desired container for service to stores.
- Weigh or measure ingredients as directed.
- Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators and other storage areas.
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers.
- Assist cooks and kitchen team with various tasks as needed, and provide cooks with needed items.
- Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
- Use manual or electric appliances to clean, peel, slice, and trim foods.
- Butcher and clean meat, poultry, and other protein for cooking.
- Keep records of the quantities of food used.
- Load utensils, containers, kitchen tools etc into dishwashing machines.
- Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as alcoholic cocktail batches and non-alcoholic beverage items.
- Sweep and mop kitchen floor.Promptly inform supervisors when equipment is not working properly and when food and supplies are getting low, and order needed items.
- Make special dressings and salsas, sauces as condiments for menu items.
- Use the Standard Recipes provided for preparing all products. Do not rely on the memory of oneself or others when preparing recipes.
- Complete opening and closing checklists and assists others in opening and closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet the expectations or needs to support the operation of the commissary and restaurants.
- Fill-in for fellow team members where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient restaurant operations.
- Work closely with other team members to support each other through daily tasks, promote teamwork and a healthy culture.
- Take pride in your work each day to make things a little better than they were yesterday.
- Fully understand and exhibit the HomeState culture, embodying our mission, visions and core values.
- 1-2 years in restaurant industry preferred.
- Personable and enjoys working with guests and a diverse team.
- Passion for food, and hospitality a plus.
- Food Safety Certification required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (6 or more hours per shift)
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds