Job Type: Full time
- Restaurants are fun (it’s like throwing a party everyday)!
- With base rate plus tip share, it’s reasonable to expect to earn $23-$25 per hour.
- Refer a friend, get $500*
- Free meals – even on your days off.
- Retirement savings option.
- Stick around for a while – we have retention incentives.
- Affordable health, dental & vision benefits*
- 100% company paid life insurance*
- We create an environment where everyone with respect and dignity.
- We value honest, intentional and transparent communication.
- We listen, learn and lead with compassion.
- We encourage you to be yourself.
- Advancement opportunities available.
- Community engagement – HS plays a positive role in community.
- Slip resistant shoe program.
- Check out our Instagram!
You gotta be nice!
WHAT’S IT LIKE WORKING AT HOMESTATE//
- Work with other nice people
- Make other people happy
- Enjoy free tacos and queso
- Relish in the flexibility that the hospitality industry provides…we encourage you to pursue your passion, with us or otherwise.
WHO ARE WE//
In 2013, native Texan Briana Valdez opened HomeState, an ode to Texas cuisine in Los Angeles with the mission of evoking community and creating a home for everyone, no matter where they are from. HomeState represents the integrity, history, and culture of Briana’s roots.
HomeState aims to create a dining experience that goes beyond the food. The way our guests feel at HomeState is the true mission of our efforts. HomeState exists for everyone. The price point, casual vibe and portability of the food allows the restaurant to flex to the needs of many. HomeState is a recipient of the KCRW “Best Tortilla in Southern California” award.
No matter where you’re from, HomeState is your home away from home. A space where every person feels welcomed and valued. We serve hospitality first and tacos second. And we’re hiring nice people!
HomeState is currently hiring for the position of: Kitchen Team Member
THE FINE PRINT //
We know there’s more to an individual than can be expressed on a resumé. See below for a sneak-peak at some of the responsibilities you’d hold as a kitchen team member.
Base rate is currently projected to be $17 per hour,
with tip share it is reasonable to expect to earn $23-$25 per hour.
* Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of HomeState.
* Prepare hot food as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Other duties include the final preparation of the menu items such as building, finishing and garnishing prepared foods.
* Inspect, clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
* Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, griddles, fryers, combi ovens, and other kitchen equipment.
* Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock. (FIFO)
* Be knowledgeable and comply with HomeState’s standard portion sizes, builds, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
* Responsible for the quality of all products served.
* Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
* Handle, store, and rotate all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
* Turn or stir foods in the steam well to ensure even reheating, cooling or cooking.
* Be knowledgeable with proper food temperatures for holding and cooling.
* Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
* Bake, roast, broil, meats, beans, bacon, vegetables, cookies, tortillas and other foods as required.
* Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
* Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
* Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting via proper protocol.
* Follow proper presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
* Wash, peel, cut, and seed such as avocados to prepare them for consumption.
* Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed, including chopping brisket or menu items assigned.
* Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies, rush periods, or as required by team leaders.
* Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
* Work closely with other team members to support each other through daily tasks, promote teamwork and a healthy culture.
* Fill-in for fellow team members where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient restaurant operations.
* Be knowledgeable and familiar with all stations of the kitchen team including but not limited to, prep, line, grill, dish and tortilla.
* Follow recipes and portion control SOPs to ensure consistency and accuracy.
* Follow safety procedures to reduce the risk of injury.
* Open and close the kitchen following checklists for kitchen stations and assists others in with their checklists.
* Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
* Take pride in your work each day to make things a little better than they were yesterday.
* Fully understand and exhibit the HomeState culture, embodying our mission, visions and core values.
* 1-2 years in restaurant industry with guest facing role preferred.
* Food Safety Certification required.
* Personable and enjoys working with guests and leading a diverse team.
* Passion for food, hospitality, and providing an exemplary guest experience.
* Availability to work weekends, day shifts and evening shifts.
* Ability to stand for long periods of time (6 or more hours per shift)
* Ability to lift 25+ pounds
HomeState embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Please note that job duties are subject to change at the company’s discretion.
*Eligibility for some benefits may be dependent upon average hours worked or length of employment.