Job Type: Full time
Location: Sherman Oaks
WHO WE ARE //
In 2013, native Texan Briana Valdez opened HomeState, an ode to Texas cuisine in East Hollywood with the mission of evoking community and creating a home for everyone, no matter where they are from. HomeState exists for everyone. The price point, casual vibe and portability of the food allows the restaurant to flex to the needs of many. HomeState is a recent recipient of the KCRW’s “Best Tortilla in Southern California” award.
No matter where you’re from, HomeState is your home away from home. A space where every person feels welcomed and valued. We serve hospitality first and tacos second. And we’re hiring nice people!
THE GIG //
As a member of the kitchen team you provide the guests with an exceptional experience by implementing HomeState’s standards of service, product quality, and cleanliness. Every member of our team strives to create an environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
THE OFFER //
By joining HomeState, you’re becoming a member of a dynamic team. In addition to a nurturing environment, in which you’ll be able to grow as we grow, HomeState offers competitive hourly rate, health insurance, and delicious family meal! We share tips equally with the service and kitchen team.
Average rate per hour in the kitchen is $23- $26 with tip share.
THE FINE PRINT //
See below for a sneak-peak at some of the responsibilities you’d hold as a member of our kitchen team.
HomeState embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note that job duties are subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of HomeState.
- Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, or pans, by operating a dish machine or washing by hand in a three compartment sink.
- Keep dishwasher clean and immediately report any functional or mechanical problems to the Kitchen Manager.
- Monitor dishwasher water temperature and approved dish chemicals to ensure sanitary wash cycle.
- Maintain kitchen work areas, equipment, or utensils in clean and orderly condition.
- Place clean dishes, utensils, or cooking equipment in storage areas.
- Maintain adequate levels of clean tableware for dining room and kitchen.
- Maintain adequate levels of dish detergents and cleaning supplies.
- Sort and remove trash, placing it in designated pickup areas.
- Sweep or scrub floors.
- Stock supplies, such as food or utensils, in serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators, or salad bars.
- Clean food preparation and production areas as required.
- Receive and store supplies.
- Clean garbage cans with water or steam.
- Transfer supplies or equipment between storage and work areas, by hand or using hand trucks.
- Handle tableware carefully to prevent breakage and loss.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Work closely with other team members to support each other through daily tasks, promote teamwork and a healthy culture.
- Take pride in your work each day to make things a little better than they were yesterday.
- Fully understand and exhibit the HomeState culture, embodying our mission, visions and core values.
- 1-2 years in restaurant industry preferred.
- Personable and enjoys working with guests and a diverse team.
- Passion for food, and hospitality a plus.
- Food Safety Certification required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (6 or more hours per shift)
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds